REST is the most wide spread and effective standard to develop APIs for internet services. With the way PHP and its eco-system has modernized the way code is written by simplifying various operations, it is useful to developAPIs with PHP 7 and modern tools.
This book explains in detail how to create your ownAPI in PHP 7 that can be consumed by other users in your organization.
Starting with a brief introduction to the fundamentals of REST architecture and the new features in PHP 7, you will learn to implement basicAPI endpoints using vanilla PHP. The book explains how to identify flaws in security and design and teach you how to tackle them. You will learn about composer, Lumen framework and how to make your RESTful API cleaner, secure and efficient. The book emphasizes on automated tests, teaches about different testing types and give a brief introduction to microservices which is the natural way forward.
After reading this book, you will have a clear understanding of the REST architecture and you can build a web service from scratch.
- Leverage the Lumen framework to build RESTful API endpoints for your applications
- Understand how to increase efficiency and security of your web service.
- Learn to apply the concepts by implementing the examples covered in the book
What you will learn
- Understand the REST API architecture and its benefits
- Write RESTful API web services in PHP 7
- Address security-elated issues in a REST API
- Leverage the importance of automated testing and write tests for API endpoints
- Identify security flaws in our current API endpoints and tackle them effectively
- Observe the working of Lumen microframeworks and write RESTful web services in it
About the Author
Haafiz Waheed-ud-din Ahmad has been working in the IT industry since 2008. He has mostly worked in web application development and mostly used PHP at the server side. Although most of his experience is in PHP, he is a technology agnostic person and also likes to learn and adapt to new technologies. He also acts as an adviser for startups and new developers.
Table of Contents
- REST Architecture and RESTful Web Services
- Important Features In PHP 7
- Creating RESTful API endpoints in Vanilla PHP
- Identify Security and Design Flaws
- Load and resolve with Composer, an Evolutionary
- Illuminating RESTful Web Services with Lumen
- Improving RESTful web services
- API Testing – Guards on the Gates